Why do so many Executive Directors, and Board Members think ordinary? I leave meetings feeling sorry for the organization because they are going to remain mediocre. Strike that. I feel sorry for their mission.
Mediocrity carries too many consequences.
It is the duty, obligation, and responsibility of the Board, and the Executive staff to be successful. Achieving the mission of the organization requires setting goals that seem unreasonable. Leadership must be willing to take massive actions and hold everyone accountability.
A nonprofit, as a whole, needs to take 10x more action than what they are taking at this very moment. Extreme success requires 10X the number of donors, volunteers, and staff you think it will take to make any significant impact. It is time to raise a nonprofit’s standards to a whole new level.
Nonprofit leaders first need to adjust their thinking to 10X levels and their actions to 10X quantities.
Chances are that if you look back over your life, you’ll see that you have wildly underestimated both the actions and reasoning necessary to accomplish any endeavor to the point where it could be labeled successful.
~ Grant Cardone
In Grant Cardone’s, The 10X Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure, he lays out the formula for avoiding the common mistakes people and organizations make—mistargeting goals and underestimating the amount of time and effort it takes to achieve success.
- Properly target your objectives for everyone to be properly motivated.
- Overestimate what actions, resources, money, and energy it will take to accomplish the target.
- Dominate your sector instead of competing.
- Underestimating the amount of adversity you need to overcome to attain your goals.
- Success at the highest levels can only be achieved by “abnormal” levels of thoughts and actions.
- Manage every action as if you were being recorded.
- Success is the result of relentless actions over time.
- Assume control for everything.
- Success is not something that happens to you; it is something that happens because of me.
- Don’t be a victim.
Grant goes on to answer the question about how much action is necessary to achieve success. Most organizations fail because they are operating at the wrong degree of action. Here are the four choices.
- The organization does very little.
- The organization is retreating.
- The organization is taking normal levels of action.
- The organization is taking massive action.
At Board Director, our big goal is to get every nonprofit on the planet to use a board portal to take their communication and collaboration to 10X levels. We believe the best way to achieve this is to have prepared board members. Executive Directors should stay away from printing and handing outboard packs. Embrace cloud technology and stop the death-by-email bottleneck.
Governance is the central responsibility of a 10X board and we provide the tools by which Governance documents are shared, approved, controlled, and reviewed with a document management system accessible 24/7 via the cloud—accessible anytime, anywhere on any device.
This post is to encourage my nonprofit friends to be better than ever. It is in your face and meant to raise your blood pressure. The environment, community, pets, families, and children depend on you. You are their knight in shining armour.
10X your nonprofit.